Monday, March 21, 2011

It’s Good To See You Again My Walking Shoes

I dusted off my summer walking shoes this morning and put them on my feet. Ahhhh. The re-emergence of the walking shoes signifies the end of the dreary winter months and the insurgence of spring. With an anticipated high of 12C today, and many hours of waiting in the hospital, I thought it would be best that I don’t cook my feet with my winter boots today.

There is something comforting about slipping back into my summer shoes. A certain familiarity and liberation that comes in comparison to the waterproof, weatherproof, insulating winter boots that have protected me during these past 4 months. I think the same feeling comes over us when we reunite with friends of old.

This past weekend there was somewhat of a reunion of my old church friends from my youth. Though the circumstances were not for the most part a joyous occasion (my condolences and prayers to the Au Yeung Family), the sight, hugs, and sounds of the voices and faces from my youth certainly brought back many memories and a certain comforting familiarity when I was surrounded by the “uncles and aunties”, “brothers and sisters”, and the “young ones”. The older generation still called me by my nickname, and then apologizes and addressed me as “Mook Si”… which was often followed by a laugh or giggle. There were still a lot of “Tim Gor gor” and “Uncle Tim”, though in reality we are now all peers – equals before the eyes of our God – brother and sisters in Christ. The one thing that binds us all, now that most of us are separated by miles, oceans, and even continents, is that which brought us all together in the first place. Montreal Chinese Alliance Church was more than just a building. It was, for most of us, the origin and motivator for who we’ve become today. It was a place where the gospel message was boldly proclaimed; where the love of God was demonstrated to all ; and a place where worship and service to our living God was practiced.

Of course, shoes become worn. And as much as I love my summer walking shoes, I know that I will need to replace them soon. Many of us have moved away from our MCAC shoes and put on new shoes – shoes that have brought us to many new and great adventures for our God. Simpychurch is my new shoes. I hope that it will be yours as well.

“How beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good News”

Walking in His Steps,

PT

No comments:

Post a Comment